Greg Alpers, Director 863-534-5240 · Email
General Office: 863-534-5240
1290 Golfview Avenue · Bartow, FL 33830 · Map
Mail: P.O. Box 9005 Drawer HS04 · Bartow, FL 33831-9005
Hours of Operation: M-F 8AM - 5PM
The Mission of Polk County Housing and Neighborhood Development Division (HND) shall be to improve the quality of life for the very low, low and moderate income citizens of Polk County and, at the same time, rekindle community pride through economic and political empowerment and development of lasting partnerships between government and the community. More specifically, HND will:
- Increase economic opportunities and improve living standards through mobilization of all available resources within and outside the community.
- Conduct assessment of existing conditions to discover opportunities as well as problems
- Maintain an unbiased approach to housing and community development, maximizing existing opportunities, and tailoring problem solutions to specific needs and cultural preferences
- Increase public awareness of and facilitate ongoing participation in the community development process
- Provide leadership and leadership training through development and nurturing of neighborhood organizations.
Housing & Neighborhood Development administers federal and state grant programs. The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and the Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG) programs serve low-income families in unincorporated Polk County as well as in other cities and towns throughout the county. The division's primary objective is assisting in the development of sustainable communities. Sustainable communities are achieved by implementing neighborhood revitalization, economic development, and the provision of improved community facilities and services.
The Housing & Neighborhood Development Division also administers the affordable housing and the homeowner rehabilitation programs funded by the HOME Investment Partnership Program and the State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP) Program. These programs are intended to increase housing opportunities for very low, low and moderate income households and to rehabilitate substandard homes in keeping with the policy set by the Board of County Commissioners that stable neighborhoods are the cornerstone of community development.
Housing and Neighborhood Development programs
The Housing & Neighborhood Development Division also administers Section 8 Rental Housing Assistance funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development Section 8 Housing Program.