The Polk County Building Division will limit the number of building permit owner/builder applicants seen by a permitting and plans examiner to eight per day. The change is due to an extraordinary surge in Polk County building permit applications and to help clear the current backlog.
Building Division staff recommend customers sign in before 8 a.m. The list will be available in the main lobby, outside the division office on the first floor. Staff members are also available to answer general questions and assist customers when applying for online permits using the lobby kiosks.
The permits are being processed as fast as possible for our customers. We appreciate your patience as we work through this period.
This change does not apply to contractors.
New Permitting and Land Analysis Tool Available
Learn where you can locate your project in Polk County.
This tool calculates the permits and project reviews you need for your commercial project.
Virtual Inspections Available
Polk County has partnered with VuSpex to provide our customers with the ability to conduct building inspections virtually. For details click the VuSpex logo below or visit our VuSpex information page.
The Building Division in the County Administration Building in Bartow is open for business.
- Drop off service for hard copy plans at the Building Division County Administration location only
- Same day residential walk through permitting. See below for hours of operation and other details
- Building and Land Development application assistance through the use of one of Polk's four kiosk systems available to the public
Additional Online and Remote Services:
- Access to schedule virtual, offline and onsite inspections.
- Performing approved virtual/offline inspections as listed at www.polk-county.net/building/virtual-inspections
- Performing onsite inspections scheduled through the Accela permitting system
- Permitting online through the Accela Citizen Portal at https://aca-prod.accela.com/POLKCO/Default.aspx
- Submittal of digitally signed and sealed plans uploaded through the Accela permitting System
- Customer assistance with permitting questions by phone at (863) 534-6080 or by email at BuildingDivision@polk-county.net
- For land use and planning related questions, the Planner-on-Call is available in person, by phone (863) 534-6084, or at email@example.com.
Same Day Residential Walk Through Permitting
The Polk County Building Division is experiencing an extraordinarily high permitting volume, and in an effort to reduce our permit backlog, the Building Division at this time will be limiting the number of owner/builder applicants seen by permitting and plans examiner staff to eight (8) owner/builder permits per day. We recommend that our customers make their best effort to be at the Building Division to sign in before 8:00 am, the sign in list will be available in the main lobby outside of the Building Division. Support staff is still available to answer general questions and to assist our customers with applying online for permits using our lobby kiosks. We are making every effort to process permits as quick as possible for our customers, so we appreciate everyone’s patience as we navigate through this extraordinary permitting period.
Walk-Through Residential Permitting Business Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Permit applications must be complete prior to entering the permit lobby queue by 12 p.m.
Cut-off times may be adjusted as needed, depending on volume and staffing levels.
Customers are allowed to:
- Walk-through up to three permits with plans or without plans per day, or
- Walk-through up to two mobile home set-up permits per day.
Although we will make every effort to issue walk-through permits by the close of business, those clients arriving close to the cut-off time when the lobby is full, or with multiple permit applications may be asked to return the next business day to finish the permitting process. Also, anyone seeking to walk-through a permit will not be allowed to drop it off and return later in the day.
Applicants needing help navigating Accela’s registration, or any other assistance, should call (863) 534-6080. Polk County thanks you for your patience and understanding during this critical time in our country.
Lobby Avg Wait TimesBartow Location Only
Application Cut-off TimesAll Locations
(Must be in the queue)
- Residential With Plans: Noon
- Mobile Home Setup: Noon
- Residential Without Plans: Noon
- Permit Tech on Call – (863) 534-6080, BuildingDivision@polk-county.net
Permitting process or requirements inquiries.
- Planner on Call - (863) 534-6084, PlannerOnCall@polk-county.net
Land Development regulations inquiries.
- Cashier – (863) 534-6535
- Contractor Licensing – (863) 534-6530, ContractorLicensing@polk-county.net
For licensing questions or to file a contractor complaint.
- Re-open expired permits – ExpiredPermits@polk-county.net
- Building Official – Ryan Wiggins, (863) 534-6528
Phone: (863) 534-6080
Toll Free: (800) 780-5346
330 W. Church St.
Bartow, FL 33830
Office Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday:
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Second and Fourth Tuesdays:
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
NE Government Center
Phone: (863) 534-4000
200 Government Center Blvd.
Lake Alfred, FL 33850
Office Hours of Operation:
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday:
Applications with Plans - 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Mobile Home Applications - 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Applications without Plans - 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.