Certified and trained equivalent to former volunteer firefighter level , but does not operate in an Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health (IDLH) atmosphere. Works as a firefighter on a fire apparatus as extra personnel in support of career personnel. Assignment may be to specific apparatus or station based on operational needs or may respond to a larger area such as a battalion. May be assigned a pager and respond to dispatches when available. May work as part of a team assigned to an ambulance, fire apparatus, or other specialized vehicle at events such as races, parades, festivals, and other "special details". Receives and participates in ongoing training, drills and other educational events to maintain certifications and operational readiness.
- Must have Florida Firefighter 1 or Firefighter 2 certificate (Minimum Fire Standards)
- Must live within 10 miles of a county fire station
- May be assigned a pager and respond to page out calls when available
- Must have and maintain Emergency Medical Responder (EMR, aka: First Responder) or Florida EMT or Paramedic certification
- Must complete a minimum ride/standby times
- Must complete department required assignments
- Must pass initial and annual physical