Facts and Figures
Did You Know?
- Floods are the number one natural disaster in the United States.
- Just an inch of water can cause costly damage to property.
- Everyone is at risk - due to weather systems, runoff or drainage issues.
- Most homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage.
- More then 50% of properties in high-risk areas remain unprotected by flood insurance; all properties in high-risk areas need to be protected with flood insurance.
- Over 20% of all flood insurance claims are filed in low-to moderate-risk areas.
- There is a 26% chance of flooding during a 30 year mortgage, compared to a 9% chance of fire for buildings in high-risk flood areas.
- Flood losses in the United States averaged $2.4 billion per year in the 1990's and 2000's.
- The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) paid nearly $16 billion in flood insurance claims to policyholders during the 2005 hurricane season (as of August 31, 2006).
- In the last 50 years, nearly 1,000 flood events have been designated as federally declared disasters.
- Nearly 75% of all federally declared disasters over the past five years involved flooding.
So, click here to see: YOUR FLOOD INSURANCE OPTIONS