June 2021 Happenings at the History Center
Published on Jun 1, 2021
Bartow, Fla (May 31, 2021) -- Journey into Polk history this month at the Polk County History Center. The following programs and events will be held virtually and are open to the public and free of charge:
- June 12, 11 a.m. to noon, Zoom & Vroom: Surf the Ridge Scenic Highway
- Program presented live on the Polk County Government Facebook page (@polkcountygovfl) and available for replay on the PGTV YouTube page (PolkCountyFL).
- The Ridge Scenic Highway, located in Polk County, Florida, extends 38.7 miles along the Lake Wales Ridge, from its intersection with US 27 south of Frostproof to its intersection with US 17/92 in Haines City. The highway was among the first regional roadways constructed in Polk County. The scenic highway corridor travels through the historic communities of Frostproof, Hillcrest Heights, Babson Park, the Village of Highland Park, Lake Wales, Lake of the Hills, Dundee, Lake Hamilton and Haines City. We provide the driving directions and destinations to check out along the way, you provide the fun!
- This program includes both a virtual component and a self-guided driving tour. Contact Jayme Jamison to find out more information, JaymeJamison@polk-county.net<mailto:JaymeJamison@polk-county.net> or (863) 534-4381.
- June 19, 11 a.m., Architectural Tour
- Join us for an architectural tour of the History Center and discover the neoclassical architectural elements that define this iconic Polk County landmark. This month we focus on the opening celebration of the courthouse on June 25, 1909. The architectural tour occurs at 11 a.m. the third Saturday of each month.
- June 26, 10 a.m., Genealogy Speaker Series: The Double-Edged Sword: Grappling with the Other Side of Genealogy by Sam Williams, The Orthodox Genealogist
- Our families are often more complicated than polished family histories and well-organized family trees. Discover the five most common difficult discoveries a genealogist might make, learn how and why to proceed with caution and get healing tools you can use as you grapple with the other side of genealogy.
- This is a virtual program, reservations are required. For Zoom details, contact Preston Petermeier at (863) 534-4604 or PrestonPetermeier@polk-county.net<mailto:PrestonPetermeier@polk-county.net>
The Polk County History Center is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday at 100 E. Main St. in Bartow. Visit www.polkhistorycenter.org<http://www.polkhistorycenter.org> or call (863) 534-4386 for more information on exhibits and programming. All programs and events are free and open to the public.