November Happenings at the History Center
Published on Oct 29, 2021
Bartow, Fla (Oct. 29, 2021) -- Journey into Polk history this month at the Polk County History Center. The following programs and events will be held virtually and are open to the public and free of charge:
- November is Native American Heritage Month
- America is a vast land of many cultures. History, heritage and culture of Native Americans, Alaskan natives and native Hawaiians are part of every community across the country today, including Polk County. Stay tuned to the county’s Facebook page and Polk Government Television to discover Polk’s unique indigenous heritage.
- Nov. 12, 6 p.m., Zoom & Vroom: Home for the Holidays
- This program will be presented live on the Polk County Government Facebook page, PolkCountyGovFL and available for replay on the PGTV YouTube page.
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year for exploring the history and heritage of Polk County. Join us for a special edition of Zoom and Vroom and discover all the ways to feel the warmth of the season while enjoying the programs and exhibits from our heritage partners. This edition of Zoom and Vroom will also feature the Festival of Wreaths at the Polk County History Center and a cameo from the North Pole.
- This program includes both a virtual component and a self-guided driving tour. Contact Jayme Jamison to find out more information at JaymeJamison@polk-county.net or (863) 534-4381.
- Nov. 12, Festival of Wreaths Begins
- Herald the arrival of the holiday season at the History Center with the 11th Annual Festival of Wreaths and silent auction activity. The wreaths will be on display from Nov. 12 through Dec. 16, when high bidders begin picking up the wreaths to decorate their homes across Polk County. The Festival opens Nov. 12 with a special edition of Zoom and Vroom.
- Nov. 19, Selfies with Santa, 4:30 to 6:15 p.m.
- Santa Claus and his elves will be in his study at the History Center for “Selfies with Santa” from 4:30 to 6:15 p.m. Reservations are required and social distancing practices will be in place to ensure that Santa and the little ones are kept safe and healthy. Contact the museum to reserve your space at JaymeJamison@polk-county.net or (863) 534-4381.
- Nov. 20, 11 a.m., Architectural Tour
- Join us for an architectural tour of the History Center and discover the neoclassical architectural elements that define this iconic Polk County landmark. This month’s focus is on the furnishings of the historic 1908 courtroom. The architectural tour occurs at 11 a.m. on the third Saturday of each month.
- Nov. 27, Selfies with Santa, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Santa Claus and his elves will be in his study at the History Center for “Selfies with Santa” from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Reservations are required and social distancing practices will be in place to ensure that Santa and the little ones are kept safe and healthy. Contact the museum to reserve your space at JaymeJamison@polk-county.net or (863) 534-4381.
- Nov. 27, 10:30 a.m., Songs of Christmas Past
- What can a song tell us about the time period it comes from? You’ll be humming your favorite Christmas songs as you explore the evolution of Christmas traditions and the creation of popular tunes. Presented by J. Lenora Bresler the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum corresponding docent, this unique and festive program explores the themes reflected in our most treasured holiday songs.
- This will be a hybrid presentation and registration is required. Those interested may attend in-person at the Polk County History Center (with a limit to 20 people for social distancing) or may participate virtually on Zoom. Contact Jayme Jamison to register at JaymeJamison@polk-county.net or (863) 534-4381.
The Polk County History Center is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday at 100 E. Main St. in Bartow. Visit www.polkhistorycenter.org or call (863) 534-4386 for more information on exhibits and programming. All programs and events are free and open to the public.