December Happenings at the History Center
Published on Dec 1, 2021
Bartow, Fla (Dec. 1, 2021) -- Journey into Polk history this month at the Polk County History Center. The following programs and events will be held virtually and are open to the public and free of charge:
- Dec. 4, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Local Authors Book Fair at Annual Mistletoe Market
- Meet the historians behind your favorite hometown stories and purchase a book or two to round out your Christmas shopping. The book fair at the History Center will be offered as part of Mistletoe Market, sponsored by Main Street Bartow, Inc. For more information or to participate, contact Lois Sherrouse-Murphy at (863) 534-4386.
- Dec. 4, 11 a.m. Oak Hill Cemetery Tour
- Join Jayme Jamison, curator of education and visitor engagement, for a guided tour of Bartow’s historic Oak Hill Cemetery. Discover the forms of funerary art that date to 1860s and visit the graves of prominent Polk Countians buried at the site, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Dec. 11 and 18, Selfies with Santa, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Santa Claus and his elves will be in his study at the History Center for “Selfies with Santa.” Reservations are required and social distancing practices will be in place to ensure that Santa and the little ones are kept safe and healthy. Contact the museum to reserve your space at JaymeJamison@polk-county.net or (863) 534-4381.
- Dec. 18, 11 a.m., Architectural Tour
- Join us for an architectural tour of the History Center and discover the neoclassical architectural elements that define this iconic landmark. This month’s focus is on the original construction elements visible on the History Center’s third floor. The architectural tour begins at 11 a.m. the third Saturday of each month.
The Polk County History Center is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday at 100 E. Main St. in Bartow. Visit www.polkhistorycenter.org or call (863) 534-4386 for more information on exhibits and programming. All programs and events are free and open to the public.