Option to Self Haul Waste
Staying on schedule to service your solid waste collection needs on a timely basis has been very difficult the last several months. Thank you for your patience. We apologize for the inconvenience this has created.
To ensure that your solid waste collection needs are met, the Board of County Commissioners is offering residents of unincorporated Polk County the option to self-haul uncollected materials due to missed collection(s) to the landfill at no additional cost.
To ensure an expedient landfill experience, these steps will allow us to service you promptly once you arrive at the landfill:
- Call (863) 284-4319 to report your missed collection(s). A request for self-haul will be submitted by an agent and next step instructions will be provided.
- When you choose to self-haul your waste, a customer service agent will advise you as to the validation process to self-haul and collect all necessary information to generate the request. Please be as specific as possible.
- After collecting your information, the agent will verify in our tracking system that you have experienced a missed collection. They will contact you with a Resident Recovery Service Request Number that you will bring with you to Waste & Recycling
to ensure you are not charged for disposal.
- After receiving your request number, follow these steps according to waste material(s):
For Recyclable Materials
Check in at the Administrative Office during operating hours (office hours), located on the North Central Landfill Facility, 10 Environmental Loop S., Winter Haven, and present your Resident Recovery Service Request number. Landfill staff will direct you to the area designated for disposal of each type of residential waste that you bring.
For Yard, Bulk and Household Waste
Bring your waste material to the landfill during landfill operating hours. Proceed to the scale house, located at 7425 DeCastro Road in Winter Haven, and present your Resident Recovery Service Request Number. Landfill staff will direct you to the area designated for disposal of each type of residential waste that you bring.
What to expect
Things to keep in mind if you choose to self-haul:
Only conforming residential waste may be disposed of at no additional cost to you. Waste must meet the requirements of all residential waste standards.
Review residential standards: Household Waste, Yard Waste, Bulk Waste or Recyclable materials
- Only the following recyclable materials will be accepted: aluminum cans, tin/steel cans, cardboard, translucent (non-colored) plastic and paper. Other materials will be disposed of in the landfill at no additional cost. Recyclable material that is
mixed with waste will be disposed of at the landfill.
- Only waste materials documented and validated by customer service agents as missed collections can be disposed of at no additional cost.
Ex: If your household waste was verified as not collected, then household waste will be the only material you will be able to dispose of at no additional cost. If you bring bulk material, yard waste or recycling that has not been reported and validated as missed, you will be responsible for the disposal fee.
Your Resident Recovery Service Request Number is only valid from the time you receive it until your next regularly scheduled collection day for the waste material missed. Ex: Your collection day for Household Waste is Tuesday and you receive your confirmation number on Wednesday. You may only self-haul household waste to the landfill from Wednesday to Monday. If you come to the landfill outside of that window you will have to pay out of pocket for disposal.
- Tires and construction and demolition debris are not considered residential waste; they cannot be disposed at no additional cost. You will be responsible for the cost of disposal.
- Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) must be disposed of at the HHW processing facility on site. Limited hours.